Saturday, November 1, 2008

The Day After The Election, What Will Your President Be Playing On His Ipod?



The world as we know it has, or will be officially changing. I must admit, I would have never imagined that I can say that the president of these United States could possibly like the same music I do! I have grown up in the world of Hip Hop. My first album I can remember was the Fat Boys album my father got me one Christmas. I can remember stealing huge cardboard boxes in an effort to learn how to spin on my back and learn the latest break dance moves in middle school. I remember the shell toe Adidas and the fat laces. I saw hip hop grow from a so called passing phase to an economic powerhouse. Now to my amazement I see a politician running for President who can relate to the millions and millions of people who grew up, live and promote the culture.

Today when I ran across this interview of Barack Obama I could only smile and think about how far hip hop has grown. To see major politicians tell you how much they like Jay Z, Dr. Dre or whoever. Hip Hop has always been a vehicle to express the conditions, politics and stories of the urban culture. But today I can only smile and express my joy to see that the hip hop culture is on the right path. Yes there are going to be setbacks, people who criticize the music and life and of course people that live the culture who can be as ignorant as they get. But today I smile because nobody can tell me that hip hop has not grown.

So after the election dust settles and the votes are in, ask yourself "I wonder what the president has in his ipod this morning"! Hopefully it will be Hip Hop!!!!

No comments: