Thursday, November 5, 2009

The Death of the Female MC

Ok, ok I just finished listening to some new CD’s and checked out a few blogs about some very promising MC’s coming up in the game. Wale (hot, hot, hot CD), Kid Cudi and Drake are all on a path of success in the music industry. Then it hit me, other than Nicki Minaj, I can’t really speak on any other hot females coming out. Don’t get me wrong, there are some very talented female MC’s in the game right now. My favorites include Jean Grae, Rah Digga, MC Lyte (from back in the day) and a few others. But damn, where are all the female rappers now? I know I might date myself a bit but growing up there were female MC’s left and right. I remember female trailblazers such as Roxanne Shante, Sweet T, Monie Love and the one and only Queen Latifah. Yes I know the game changes and these guys move on to bigger and better things, such as acting or running production companies or labels, but still where is the breeding ground for new female MC’s? Is it because the industry does not accept or help groom female rappers as easily they do their male counterparts? Are too many women rappers trying to use sex appeal to break into the industry. Do female rappers not sell? Do we as the listening audience think that they are not credible? Are we truly seeing the death of the female MC!

I am even seeing true veterans of hip hop starting to recognize that lack of women in Hip Hop. Public Enemy rapper Chuck D fears the hip-hop scene is dying because there's a lack of good female rappers. The performer-turned-label boss insists the industry needs new talent, and promises to spend 2009 pushing the careers of young wannabe women MCs. He will start with up-and-comers Creww Grrl Order, who are signed to his label SLAMjamz. Chuck D says, "In 09, my fighting the power is for women in hip-hop, especially groups, producers, songwriters, and label heads. "There are very, very few all women rap groups. Less than we had 25 years ago."

Too many questions and not enough answers for me to even cover right now. I just wanted to plant the seed so that we as hip hop fans, consumers and supporters recognize a problem within the genre.

Below is a video from Nicki Minaj and her take on the situation:

No comments: