Monday, March 9, 2009

The Homeless Emcee

Written by: Daniel Shine "Philadelphia Hip Hop Music Examiner"

I really want to personally thank D-Nice for what he is doing in Hip-Hop right now. In my opinion he is helping to sustain the culture in a way that is reflective of the art, the heart and soul of hip-hop and not the mundane commercialization of the genre.

If you have not checked out his True Hip-Hop Stories series, I invite you to go to D-Nice and check out the stories behind some of Hip-Hop’s classic songs and groundbreaking artists.

His piece on the Homeless Emcee hit close to home for me because I met that man this past summer. When I tell you the brother got flows for days, he asks you “what you want to hear, commercial ish, conscious rap, what you want?” His skills blew us away; we took a few pics with him and skated off to enjoy the rest of the night.

But watching this piece just brought me back to that night. To his “will rap for food” mentality and how serious his situation really is. I didn’t have any money to give, but I would hope that I’m one of the cool people he spoke about, the ones who kicked it with him and just kept it real.

The gentleman has talent; I don’t think the bars he spit on this video speak to his lyrical skill and ability to wow you. Props to D-Nice for this one

No comments: